Fintan's Internet Life
Hello my name is Fintan Power and I have a very active media life. I use all the applications a normal teen
would use. Including...
Netfix
Lovefilm
Youtube
Facbook
Twitter
and now Google+
MAGAZINE STYLE RADIO
In this production, I will be making a MAGAZINE STYLE RADIO PROGRAM. I believe that a magazine style radio program is a radio show that cover more than one subject
I chose a clip from magazine style radio
I chose this because it covers more than one subject.
- It covers health service
- Behind the scenes at an airport
- And if water in a bottle is better than tap water
It isn't something I would be interested in. It is basically just telling different parts of the news.
I hope that this will be a fun production.
As we have now stated that
we have a specific genre. We needed information on what fast lovers want to
know about. So we went our separate ways to get one specific subject each.
Aaron brought forward sport, he presented evidence that many people who like
fast food are into professional sport. Christian brought forward a detailed
explanation about how many fast food lovers like gaming also he had a perfect
article that would fit into the radio show. This is when we knew Christian
wasn’t messing about. Mark brought forward proof that fast food lovers where
interested in current goings on in the fast food world, for example, the fast
food wars and the latest monopoly stickers. I struggled slightly during
research however a stroke of knowledge smacked me in the face when one night, I
was watching South Park, A man called Jared Fogle appeared on the screen. He
was the mascot for Subway, he had lost 200+ pounds in a year from just eating
subway and became a leader of motivation for people who needed to have a diet,
so my idea was to have an interview with Jared.
Before I create my Magazine
style radio show, I will need to find out what it is. From what I understand in
school, A magazine style radio show is a program that covers more than one
subject. I looked on the BBC to find a Magazine style radio. I had no hope of
finding them on the major stations like BBC RADIO 2 or BBC RADIO 3. They play
music.
I found what i needed on a
Program called You and Yours which I have put on my production log.
Link:
https://soundcloud.com/fintan-power/mag-style-radio
This Radio show talks about
1.Disiplining doctors
2.What happens to all the items taken away from you at
airports
3. And is natural bottled water better then
tap.
Codes and conventions must
have a Sender and a receiver. All communications are coded in some way. Some
more complicated than others however they need to be understandable by both
people at both ends of the communication for it to be successful. Everything
from television to speech is are someway messaged down the line. Television is
transported from the production company all the way to our television screens
were it is decoded and is presented on our screens at our will.
Sender Message Receiver
BBC 5live Sports extra Sports Followers
The group:
My group is a group of four
people each with different strengths and weaknesses.
First of all, myself: I am
very good with editing effects however I am not very audio genic therefore I am
not a prime example as the presenter.
Secondly, Aaron: Aaron is
very audio genic and will be a prime candidate as the presenter, however he
isn’t the most reliable person, he is distracted quite easily.
Thirdly, Christian:
Christian is good at being on time and to the point. Therefore he will be
brilliant as the main online researcher. However he wouldn’t want to present or
talk on mic.
Fourthly, Mark: Mark came
late to the group however has helped us throughout our time. Mark has been
useful at getting outside research. Mark and I had to go up to MacDonald’s to
ge outside research. And, with his encouragement, we got three important
interviews.
Research:
General Research
I am not sure my group put much imagination into coming up with that idea, however it is too late to back out now. Where to begin? Fast food is one of the biggest industries in the world. KFC (the biggest fast food company in the world) get 20 million USD per year. That is 2,000 times more than the average wage of person. Also, many companies start off extremely small. KFC originated as a single restaurant in Corbin, Kentucky. And now it is a major franchise.
Our topics could be:
Primary Research Techniques
My group could go out to local fast food franchises such as KFC, McDonalds and Subway and ask their opinion on their opinion on topics
It would be good because we can get news first hand.
I am not sure my group put much imagination into coming up with that idea, however it is too late to back out now. Where to begin? Fast food is one of the biggest industries in the world. KFC (the biggest fast food company in the world) get 20 million USD per year. That is 2,000 times more than the average wage of person. Also, many companies start off extremely small. KFC originated as a single restaurant in Corbin, Kentucky. And now it is a major franchise.Our topics could be:
- How to stay healthy while still eating fast food
- Commercial news for major franchise: example: KFC has released a new flavor of chicken.
Primary Research Techniques
My group could go out to local fast food franchises such as KFC, McDonalds and Subway and ask their opinion on their opinion on topics
It would be good because we can get news first hand.
Genre research:
Magazine style radio is a
radio that has more than one topic, examples of this is “Turtles or Tortoises”
which dis” which discusses health, relationships, hobbies and family, and
“SCOOBY DOOBY DOO!” which discusses animation and filming. However in a
magazine style radio, each has a specific audience. For example “Turtles or
Tortoises” are aimed at housewives while “SCOOBY DOOBY DOO!” is aimed at film
fanatics.
We struggled to find a
genre for our production, however after a long time thinking, we decided to
choose FAST FOOD, We thought it could be very easy, however, it wasn’t. When we
retired to our computers for research, we looked for things that a fast food
lover might like.
Audience and Topic Research:
So the final topics where,
1.
Diets,
2.
Jared
Fogle
3.
Gaming
4.
Professional
sport
Some of these are very
difficult to do, for example, what are we going to do about Jared Fogle?
However we’ll get to that.
Planning:
Planning the show turned
out to be quite difficult, we had to prepare the scripts, write the orders of
timing; this is when Christian got into his stride. Without his motivation and
preparation, our group would be dead. Christian has prepared the most out each
of these scripts. As we where planning.
We then handed out jobs and
these where…
In this show there are only
two locations,
·
The
Studio
·
Macdonald’s
on Kilburn High Road
Our OB (outside broadcasts),
VOX POPS (a combination of answers to interviews), and interviews are probably
going to be at similar times. Two of the questions that are being asked will
contain one or more of the conditions.
1.
What do
you think about fast food? (VOX POPS and outside broadcasts)
2.
What is
your opinion of fast food? (Outside broadcast)
So I guess that’s it from
the main blogging part, however before my evaluation and my show, I guess that
I’ll need to show you my shows logo. This is it, it was just a compilation that
I made in my spare time. Thanks for reading this main part of the blog.
Production
Now that the production has
started, I need to discuss what we will be doing to make the show; we are going
to create the show. First of all, we are using audacity to make the show; this
is useful because its sole purpose is to record vocals unlike garage band,
which is used in the construction of music. This is interesting because I have
never used Audacity because, unfortunately because of the project, audio is not
my forte, filming is. However, I must make do with what I have. However as we
began to use it, it turned out that Audacity is very easy to use.
After a few weeks of production, our show was ready however i won't be able to post it until my evaluation is complete. I hope you enjoy reading the evaluation and listening to the show.
There are many thing that could go wrong in my show. For example, our presenter (Aaron) often says something wrong, so i have to mute that out.
A good example of this was when Aaron pronounced something wrong, however i didn't want to re-record it. So i highlighted his mistake and used the envelope tool to mute the mistake.
A weird catch was the theme, we thought we would find one off soundcloud, so all of us went on a hunt to get one. Then we all found a good song. It was TWRK-BADINGA. We found it quite rhythmic and would work well with Aaron's voice. However a few weeks later, Aaron insisted that he could make his own theme tune.
His theme, Fire Beats, was surprisingly good. So the hours looking for a theme tune had been wasted but we got our theme tune.
The coming together of our show took a long time. With trying to get a time we could all record with extra curricular activities and what not. However we arranged a time we could all meet. While this was going on, Christian was being super productive by getting themes for each topic. each have something to do with eeach theme, for example during the sports story we are using the Match of the Day theme, Jared Fogle subway theme for the Jared Fogle interview and the Gears of War theme for Gaming.
After a few weeks of production, our show was ready however i won't be able to post it until my evaluation is complete. I hope you enjoy reading the evaluation and listening to the show.
![]() |
| Highlighted: Aaron's mistake |
There are many thing that could go wrong in my show. For example, our presenter (Aaron) often says something wrong, so i have to mute that out.
![]() |
| The envelope tool is the tool in the tool bar, top centre. |
A good example of this was when Aaron pronounced something wrong, however i didn't want to re-record it. So i highlighted his mistake and used the envelope tool to mute the mistake.
![]() |
| Getting the original song from soundcloud to Audicity |
His theme, Fire Beats, was surprisingly good. So the hours looking for a theme tune had been wasted but we got our theme tune.
![]() |
| Match of the day |
![]() |
| Subway |
![]() |
| Gears of war |
The coming together of our show took a long time. With trying to get a time we could all record with extra curricular activities and what not. However we arranged a time we could all meet. While this was going on, Christian was being super productive by getting themes for each topic. each have something to do with eeach theme, for example during the sports story we are using the Match of the Day theme, Jared Fogle subway theme for the Jared Fogle interview and the Gears of War theme for Gaming.
Evaluation:
Brief:
During this B324 project, we had to make a magazine style
radio show, which had to be approximately 4 minutes long. Our show is about people
who enjoy eating fast food. We began the show at the beginning of the year and
during the each week we did a new activity that needed to be done.
My four decisions:
Choosing Aaron as presenter
Aaron was very useful to use as presenter. This is because
he is probably one of the most autogenic people that I know, and also helped in
production by creating the theme tune. As we where later going to find out,
Aaron schedule is pretty full, therefore, it was hard to find a time that
fitted with the rest of the group, but eventually, we got a recording day. The
full recording session went well and I found out that it was a great decision
to make Aaron the presenter.
The Way we got Jared Fogle to appear on the show
One of our topics was an interview with Jared Fogle, aka the
Subway spokesperson. A catch to this was that jared is currently in Memphis, so
we needed to interview him in a different way. So an idea came to me, I jumped
onto my computer and went on a hunt for one interview that would help us. Then
I found it, an interview without the interviewer speaking while Jared was
talking. So then we recorded Aaron saying the questions, then we merged them
together and… we had an interview.
Working with Mark
At one point of the making of the show, we were lost and
didn’t know what to do. However, one day Mark and I came up with an idea to go
up to Kilburn and get the VOX POPS out of the way. We both went up and got
several interviews therefore, this shot our groups progress very far. So that
was a good decision on mine and marks side.
Volunteering to edit the show
At the beginning of the show, I regretted choosing to edit,
although I soon learned that it was a enjoyable experience. Although on the
down side, there was a lot of pressure on my side. Aaron, Christian and Mark
doesn’t have a lot of pressure on their part however I need to keep the whole
show on track. However When it came down to the full editing, I found it quite
an enjoyable experience.










No comments:
Post a Comment